Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Busy or Lazy

Q: "Hey, wanna hang out sometime next week?"
A: "Ah, sorry, I'm busy."

Q: "Hey, can you help me out with something tomorrow?"
A: "Sorry, I'm busy. Might be working overtime until late."

Q: "Can you serve at next week's service?"
A: "I can't, sorry. I'm busy and I'm afraid I'd be coming late."

I guess we're all quite familiar with at least one of the 3 conversations above. And I have to shamely admit that I'm so familiar with the answers. I said that too. And in fact, I'm not that busy... I'm just lazy.

It's hard to differentiate being busy & lazy. But in my case, being busy is when you have lots to do, you try hard to finish everything on time (if not in time) but eventually it takes longer than expected. And after you finish one thing another thing comes up. While being lazy means that I have lots to do, I know I can finish them on time (again, if not in time) but I took my time in doing them since I don't really wanna do it if I may choose. And as a result, I'm being busy for something I'm too lazy to finish.

I've always wanted to continue one of my foreign language course. Between Chinese and Japanese, I finally chose to continue my Japanese lesson last July. It took me almost a year to finally decided to call the teacher and start the course. Because I was busy? No, I was just lazy. I've been busy with work from Monday to Friday. I have Saturday off. But I thought since I'd been busy the past 5 days, why not use the day off to relax... or in other words, to be lazy. A few months after my mom passed away, suddenly my day off got more boring. Then I just realized that I have wasted too much time being lazy while I can use it for learn something new, to achieve another goal in life. Thus, I started my Japanese course again... and really, I didn't get busier by it n my day off.

The other day was a friend's birthday. I didn't get her birthday present until her birthday has passed for almost 2 weeks. I thought I was too busy to go the mall and find something for her, but then I realized again I was just too lazy to spend an extra 2 hours to drive from my office to the Mall, browsed the department stores and drive back home. Instead, I went straight home after work and spent 2 hours in front of my TV watching another dorama series that my friend just sent me.

I learned to overcome my laziness little by little... by getting up early every morning... learn something new each day... sleep early too at night... and finish my work in time.

Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth.
(Proverbs 10:4)

I learned not to get my self busy with wordly affairs... but spend more time with God, with family and friends... and do more things for other people...

The blessing of the LORD makes one rich, And He adds no sorrow with it.
(Proverbs 10:22)

No comments: