Thursday, May 29, 2008

Singing is my remedy

I just bought a new guitar last Sunday!! Yeah!! It's time to rock again!

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm suck at it! Hahaha At least I knew the keys and am able to play some of my favorite song... in standard that is, not like the records :) It's the singing that helps me tune in with the bad guitar playing.

Since I was little, I love singing so much. Was in School Choir in junior high, school band in high school, the only female singer in college who sings White Lion, Winger, Tesla and those old rock music though when I'm by myself I prefer Danny Tate or Mitch Malloy or Beverley Craven or Joshua Kadison. But mostly I sing in church. I'm an alto but once for a gospel choir competition, we lacked of bass singer so there I was the only female the back with the boys singing the bass part hahaha

I don't think I have a good voice, but my singing mentor (who taught me a lot about music) said that I'm a powerful singer. So whenever I'm singing in a group, they have to turn down my mic's volume and turn up the others! :p Really, it's embarassing sometimes but very helpful when there's a blackout and the mic doesn't work ;0) (another lame excuse...)

Singing is really therapeutic for me. And an indication of my mental state for my parents. My father used to say that he can guess how I'm feeling whenever I sing. I tend to pick songs that suit my feelings at that time. So when I'm being quiet and not make any sound, he said that's an alert for him that I must be feeling real bad or really sick hehehe

Singing also helps me get through the bad times. Even now when I'm feeling lonely and missing my mom so much, I'll sing my heart out and I'll feel much better... though many times I end up crying and can't finish the song. The night before my mom's funeral, I sang a song that I felt describe her life best by her coffin on the last service held by my church. I tried my best to finish it, my voice cracked a little in the end but as the song came to an end... I could feel my mom's presence beside me. I felt at peace.


My voice is not as it used to be, especially since I had sinus & got flu so many times lately. It's a torture for me if I can not sing when I cough or catch cold, I feel soooo down. But whenever possible, I sing. My senior in college used to hate being in the same car with me. You know, I can't help from singing whenever I hear a song that I know. Be it in the mall or the hospital, if I know the song then I'll sing along. In the end he always turned off the radio and played heavy metal - something that I can't sing at all! LoL How stupid can that be.

Well, everybody has a different way to getaway and make themselves feel better. For me, singing is my remedy. Let's rock!!

No comments: