Saturday, June 27, 2009

To Live Your Own Life

I guess MJ's death yesterday was really a big news all over the world. I don't want to have a long discussion about his death, I guess I've had enough. But what interest me to talk about this is that some hardcore fans seemed to deny the fact the he had passed away. Dead. No longer in this world. They seemed to believe that he is immortal. Which, immortality is a non-existance in this life. No matter how you want to stay young and used the most expensive anti-aging products or plastic surgery, you can't deny the fact that your life is one day will be over.

The irony of his death was that he had all the wealth in the world but still he was living a life that he couldn't enjoy. Where he couldn't call his life his own anymore. He lived under the prying gaze of millions of people who called themselves his fans and the media, and he was expected to live up to their expectations. To be the perfect, immortal star.

Fame and wealth can be cruel. Fandom can be dangerous.

Jung Yunho, leader of one of my fave boybands - TVfXQ was once rushed to the hospital because and anti-fan sneaked into the dressing room & put power glue in the water bottle that he drank. And not just that, the boys are stalked whenever they returned to their home country. And they're just one boyband while there are hundred of others. Sadly, they do what what they do today because it's their passion. They're now more than just pretty faces & killer bodies, surprisingly they do have talents. And very good at it. If they don't do what they do today, what else can they be? A regular salaray-man like you and me? Or running their own busineess?

I love singing. And there was a moment in my life when I want to be a singer if given the opportunity. But life had a different plan laid out for me. Still, there's a longing inside my heart for this dream coming untrue. Now I have to satisfy myself with singing in church (which is the greatest opportunity to serve my Father & Lord) and an occasional karaoke session with some friends. Somehow this make me understand why they do what they do today. It's more than just fame or money, it's about living your life according to your passion and the success is just a bonus.

So what kind of fan do you want to be? Do you want to be a stalker fan or obsessive fan? Or do you want to be a loyal fan who buys their records, go to their concerts and smile when you coma across a picture of them holding hands with some girls or fellow celebrities? After all they're only human. They have feelings & desires. And they want to start a family. What is so wrong about it? Besides, to have a family of our own is the very basic core of life.

It's okay to ask for an autograph or a picture together. But let's grow up and let them live their own life. After all, they have given up 80% of their lives for you... for me... for us... let them enjoy the 20% on their own.

No comments: